Leeds Support and Development Organisations
Organisations offering support & advice
Leeds Community Foundation
The Leeds Community Foundation is an independent grant-making organisation that raises funds from the private sector (primarily individuals and companies), as well as distributing statutory funding. These funds are then made available, in the form of grants, to small-to-medium sized voluntary, community and faith sector groups in Leeds.
For more information please contact Leeds Community Foundation at:
Leeds Community Foundation
51a St Paul's Street
Tel: 0113 242 2426 Fax: 0113 242 2432
VA-L - Voluntary Action Leeds
Voluntary Action-Leeds (VA-L) is the Council for Voluntary Service in Leeds. VA-L supports and builds the capacity of other voluntary, community, and faith organisations. They have been offering services since 1945 and are an acknowledged source of support and information on the voluntary and community sector. VA-L's services include:
- Regular printed and online newsletters - visit www.val.org.uk to subscribe
- Support with general enquiries, development and management advice
- Information, publications and periodicals
- Signposting service to specialist advice and support
- Support in design and print of marketing materials
- Peace, quiet, assistance and so much more...
- A Small Groups Development Service offers specialist advice and support to newly formed and small groups on: governance, operational / strategic issues, policies & procedures, funding
- Training: a regular training programme covers organisational development. VA-L can also offer tailor made packages specifically designed for your group
- The Volunteer Centre: matches volunteer opportunities with prospective volunteers and provides advice, training and support to volunteer managers
- Capacity: IT support project to take care of Information Technology needs, from installation to support and web hosting to training
- Payroll: to take the hassle out of payroll, administering salaries lets you concentrate on what you do best
- Physical and Sensory Impairment Network: a network of disabled people's groups, supporting strategic engagement and co-operative activity.
- Fundraising Advice: direct support and advice for groups based in Inner North West Leeds.
VA-L is open from 9:00am-4:00pm. For more information about any of our services, contact us at
Voluntary Action-Leeds, Stringer House, 34 Lupton Street, Hunslet, Leeds LS10 2QW. Tel: 0113 297 7920 Fax: 0113 297 7921 Minicom: 0113 297 7941 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leeds Infrastructure Consortium (LIC)
LIC is the affiliation of infrastructure organisations that support, represent and work on behalf of voluntary and community sector organisations in Leeds.To find out more about the work of LIC, and to get a full list of members, please contact Richard Jackson as per the details under Voluntary Action-Leeds above.
Pay and Employment Rights Service(PERS)
PERS offers support to voluntary and community sector organisations in Leeds by providing a telephone information and advice service on employment rights issues. This includes:
- advice to organisations on day-to-day employment issues, and adherence to the legal frameworks that exist to prevent discrimination at work
- advice and information on models of good practice (via telephone advice, publications and from their website)
- one-to-one consultancy with organisations with support tailored to their human resources needs. This might include terms and conditions, equal pay, compliance with Disability Discrimination Act, Race Relations Amendment Act, European directives etc. In practice this can mean working through the range of policies and procedures new organisations should adopt, and amending existing policies and practices of more established organisations to meet current legal requirements
- model policies and toolkits, including Recruitment & Selection, Redundancy, Equal Opportunities and Sick Pay
Pay and Employment Rights Service (Yorkshire) Ltd
Unit 14, Batley Enterprise Centre,
513 Bradford Road,
Tel: 01924 428033 Fax: 01924 440906
fit4funding supports voluntary organisations and community groups in West Yorkshire to receive funding for their work; and supports funding advisors and agencies to give effective funding advice. This is done through the provision of training on writing funding applications, developing a funding strategy, good practice in funding advice e.t.c., through funding information (newsletters e.t.c), and consultancy.
93 Lawefield Lane
WYCAS - West Yorkshire Community Accounting Services
WYCAS is a small charitable company operating mainly in West Yorkshire. Our overall aim is to develop the ability of voluntary and community sector organisations with charitable aims to manage their money more efficiently and effectively to enable those organisations to better attain the objectives that they were set up to achieve. The services offered include:
- One-to-one training and support for key finance staff
- Annual Accounts service
- Financial Management Training Courses
- Good Practice Guides
- Advice Line
- Financial Systems Health-checks and Remedial Work
- WYCAS Newsletter
34 Lupton Street
Leeds LS10 2QW
Tel Office: 0113 270 6291. Tel Advice: 0113 270 6269.
Burley Lodge Centre
42-46 Burley Lodge Road, Leeds, LS6 1QF
Tel: 0113 275 4142 Fax: 0113 275 3700
The Centre provides support to individuals and groups in the community that manage their own projects and activities. The Volunteer Project Worker also provides advice and support to new groups.
145-149 Cardigan Road, Leeds LS6 1LJ
Tel: 0113 275 9282 Fax: 0113 274 4759
Postcodes: Inner NW
Some of this work is generic (which means it applies to anyone or any group), but there are also specialised staff working with groups of young people and older people, and focusing on community health development. Infrastructure services include: office rental, administrative services, administration of grants, organising and administering networks of local organisations, supporting small groups which are setting up (i.e. capacity building, excluding funding advice, from 13+ years), support key community events, adult learning - programmes for 14+ year olds using Open College units.
Leeds Older People's Forum (LOPF)
60 Upper Basinghall Street, Leeds LS1 5HR
Main Contact: Wesley Grant, Forum Manager
Tel: 0113 380 4911 Fax: 0113 242 7404
LOPF provides information, support, networking and consultation opportunities for the Older People's Voluntary Sector in Leeds. With a membership of 110 organisations (June 2005) LOPF provides a strong voice for the older people's voluntary sector - sitting on a number of statutory policy making and working groups within health, social services, transport, housing etc.
Leeds Play Network
St John's House, Unit 2, Park Farm Industrial Estate, Westland Road, Beeston, Leeds LS11 5SE
Main contact Nicola Turner Tel: 0113 2016790 Fax: 0113 2762573
Leeds Play Network provides advice, support, information and training for play providers across Leeds. We can provide specialist training for playworkers and play providers at various community venues across the city. As an umbrella organisation, we are now involved in several projects, all related to the development of the 'quality of play for children'. In response to requests, we also offer training, events and support on a widerange of play-related issues at suitable locations throughout Leeds.
26 St Michaels Road, Headingley, Leeds LS6 3AW
Main Contact: Pip Goff, Manager
Tel: 0113 274 9585
Volition represents and supports and promotes the interests of the mental health voluntary sector in Leeds, providing information including production of regular newsletters, liaison with service commissioners and planners, links with statutory agencies and organising events.